The building construction was started in 1884 by the Bolu governor Mr. İsmail Kemal, as a navigation school but incomplete. It was restored in 1976 for use as a museum. The building has the architectural features of the late Ottoman period, is rectangular and its construction was started as two floors but one floor was completed. The museum building, whose restoration works were started in 2014, was re-opened to the visitors while preserving its original texture. In the museum, works belonging to Roman, Byzantine, Genoese, and Ottoman periods are exhibited in 4 exhibition halls. In addition, the museum, which has bust room and interactive usage areas, continues to host its visitors.